Sticky Paleo Ribs are AMAZING! They’re slow cooked until fall off the bone tender then smothered in an easy to make (and refined sugar-free!) chocolate BBQ sauce then quickly grilled or baked. You will LOVE them!
1 rack of baby back ribs (also called pork back ribs)
Paleo Rib Rub
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Paleo BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each: chili powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 6 drops of liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
- Remove the thin, papery skin from the back of the ribs. Once you get it started, it should pull off in one piece. Some butchers will do this for you. If you have a small BBQ (like me!) cut the rack of ribs in half.
- Mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the rub over the meaty side of the ribs and pat it down so that it is well covered.
- Pop the ribs into your crock pot and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Add the tomato sauce, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and (if using) the liquid smoke to a small pan over medium-high heat. Whisk the ingredients together and bring it to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, and whisk it into the BBQ sauce.
To Grill the ribs
Preheat your grill to medium-high. Take the ribs out of the crock pot and baste them generously in the chocolate BBQ sauce. Grill for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
To Bake the Ribs
Preheat your oven to broil. Take the ribs out of the crock pot and place them on a baking sheet. Baste them generously with the chocolate BBQ sauce then broil for 3-5 minutes on each side.