This Sticky Chinese 5 Spice Chicken is pure happiness. It’s marinated in Chinese 5-spice, oven baked, then drenched in a sweet and sticky glaze. It’s easy to make, full of delicious flavor and takes only 30 minutes to make. It’s also a naturally paleo and gluten-free dinner recipe.
- 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro, to serve
For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free soy sauce, if needed and coco aminos for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice
- 1 teaspoon neutral flavored oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated on a Microplane
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, finely minced or grated on a Microplane
For the glaze:
- Add the chicken thighs and all the marinade ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix together well. Cover the bowl and place it in your fridge to marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake the chicken, move an oven rack to the second notch from the top, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the chicken out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and place it in your oven. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes then turn the oven to broil.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare the glaze. Add all the glaze ingredients to a medium sized saucepan over high heat. Let it come to a boil then whisk constantly for 5 minutes, or until the sauce just starts to thicken but is still very runny. Be very careful as the sauce will quickly boil over if you are not whisking it constantly. The glaze will look runny after 5 minutes but will thicken as it cools.
- When the chicken has been in the oven for 20 minutes, remove it from the oven and dip each piece in the glaze so that both sides of the chicken are covered. Return the chicken to the baking sheet and broil it for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is dark and sticky.
- Serve the Sticky Chinese 5 Spice Chicken with some sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro over top.