Spicy Rum and Rosemary Mixed Nuts are the perfect mix of sweet, salty, spicy and smoky flavors. Snack on them, top your salad or give them away as a housewarming or hostess gift. They are always a huge hit!
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 2 cups cashews
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup dark rum
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes, optional (for some extra spice)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a pan over medium-high heat bring the brown sugar, dark rum, rosemary sprigs, sea salt, ancho chili powder and optional chili flakes to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Combine the walnuts, cashews, pecans, and almonds in a large bowl. You will need enough room to mix them so divide the nuts between 2 bowls if you don’t have a large enough one.
- Once the syrup has infused for 15 minutes, remove the rosemary sprigs and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 2 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Pour it over the nuts; if you are using two bowls then divide the syrup between them.
- Toss the nuts well then lay them on the prepared baking sheets. Place the pans in the preheated oven and bake them for 25-30 minutes, or until they are golden brown and very fragrant. Stir the nuts halfway through baking.