This spicy Mexican rice is made with healthy brown rice for lots of flavour. Even though I’m not normally a rice fan I could eat this everyday.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 sweet tooth red pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 serano pepper, thinly sliced (use less if you only want it a little spicy)
- ½ tablespoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 lime
- For garnish, chopped fresh tomatoes, cilantro, good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Add all the ingredients, except the corn, lime and garnish, to a medium sized pot over high heat. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice is soft remove it from the heat, taste for seasoning and add more sea salt to taste. We added an extra ¼ tablespoon of sea salt. Stir through the corn and the juice from 1 lime.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, cilantro and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.