Want the best hot cocoa recipe ever? I thought you might! This spicy Aztec Hot Chocolate is my all-time favorite. It’s made with real chocolate, spiced with cinnamon and vanilla, and has a little kick from a chili pepper. It’s the best!
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 2 cups of milk (I like almond but regular dairy milk would work, too)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1 chili pepper, split in half and seeds removed
- 1–4 tablespoons coconut sugar, depending on taste (you can sub brown sugar or honey)
- Optional: 2 shots of brandy or Grand Marnier
- Melt the chocolate with a little of the milk in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk in the remaining milk, the cinnamon, vanilla, and dash of salt. Add the chili pepper to the pot and bring the pot almost to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 10 mins. Remove and discard the chili pepper.
- Whisk in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and taste until it is a sweetness you like. If you are using the brandy or Grand Marnier, add it to the pot
- Pour the spicy Aztec hot chocolate into mugs and serve!