This easy to make Spanish Chicken and Cauliflower Rice is an updated and healthy version of a personal favorite comfort food recipe. The cauli rice is super flavorful and loaded with Manzanilla Olives from Spain. It’s also an excellent meal prep recipe for a healthy weekday lunch.
- 2 cups Manzanilla Olives from Spain, coarsely chopped (I like to leave several whole)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped into small pieces (about 8 cups)
- Put the Manzanilla Olives from Spain, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and the onion into a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste starts to darken and turns fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and red peppers and let them cook for a few minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan while they cook.
- While the onions are cooking, start the chicken. Sprinkle the smoked paprika and sea salt over both sides of the chicken. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken to the pan, skin side up, and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the skin is crispy.
- Add the cauliflower and chicken stock to the pan with the onions and mix together. To the same pan, the chicken and all the pan juices then bring the pan to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and let the chicken simmer for 10 minutes then remove the cover and simmer for another 5 minutes until it is fully cooked and most of the liquid in the pan is gone.