Crockpot Chicken Chili is a recipe our family loves. It is flavored with bourbon (beer or chicken stock work, too!) and BBQ sauce and slow-cooked until the chicken breasts are fall-apart tender. This easy recipe requires no pre-cooking. Just put everything into your slow cooker and come home later to a chili that is smoky, a touch sweet, and totally delicious. You will LOVE it!
✨ If you love this crockpot chicken chili recipe as much as we do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (homemade for refined sugar-free)
- ½ cup bourbon (can sub light beer or chicken stock)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each: cumin, smoked paprika, and sea salt
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons honey (see notes)
- 3 chicken breasts (can sub 6 chicken thighs)
- 1 19-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Optional toppings: grated cheese, sour cream, and cilantro
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the chicken breasts, kidney beans, corn and honey to your crockpot (this is the crock pot I have) and stir to mix well. Taste the chili and add the honey if you would like it to be sweeter.
- Nestle the chicken breasts on the top and set your crockpot to high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot. Add the corn and beans to the pot and stir. Shred the chicken using 2 forks then stir it back into the chili. Taste and season with sea salt then let the chili reheat for a few minutes before serving it. Serve topped with any or all of the toppings.
BBQ sauce can vary in sweetness. Taste the chili before adding the honey and only add it if you would like it to be sweeter.