Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is an easy crockpot recipe and a true family favorite. We use skinless chicken thighs (although chicken breast works, too!) and slow cook them in a sticky honey garlic sauce. Serve them whole with the sauce poured over the top, or shred the meat and mix it with some of the deliciously sweet sauce. Either way, you’re going to love it!
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coco aminos (can sub soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit if you use soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- Sesame seeds and chives, to garnish
- Place the chicken thighs in your slow cooker in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, tomato paste, coco aminos, salt, molasses, oregano, and garlic. (See notes.) Pour the sauce over the chicken. Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn it to high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 hours. (See notes)
- A half hour before you’re ready to eat, whisk the tapioca starch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and pour it into the crockpot. Mix it around a little to thicken the sauce.
- Either serve the chicken with some sauce poured over the top or shred the chicken and mix in ½ cup of the sauce.
If you have a large slow cooker you can mix the sauce in the slow cooker then add the chicken and mix it around. We find this a little hard to do in a small slow cooker.
While you can cook this longer (8 hours on low) the chicken will be very tender and is best shredded.