This simple stir-fried okra side dish is a healthy, delicious and foolproof way to serve okra. As a bonus, it’s vegan and paleo too!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 ounces okra, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1–2 red chilies, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 small handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- A pinch of sea salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the okra. I like to turn most of the okra in the pan cut side facing down, so it browns well. After 1 minute sprinkle half the ginger, shallots, chilies and garlic over the okra. Sauté, occasionally shaking the pan to toss the okra, for about 5 minutes, or until the okra has browned well. Set the okra aside in a bowl. Repeat with the remaining coconut oil, okra, ginger, shallots, garlic, and chilies.
- Plate the okra, squeeze over some lime juice and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds, some cilantro and a pinch of sea salt.