This Sesame Coconut Kale Salad has become our go to winter salad recipe. It’s made with crispy kale AND raw kale and dotted with sesame, toasted coconut, and mandarines. The dressing is light and crisp with hints of Asian sesame oil.
- 1 large bunch of kale, stem removed and torn into bite-sized pieces (about 5 packed cups)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (I like to use ribbon coconut, but shredded works, too)
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon each: maple syrup and grapeseed oil (or other neutral-flavored oil)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss a little over half of the kale with the sesame oil and place it on the baking sheet in a mostly single layer. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and push the kale to one side, keeping the single layer. Add the coconut to the tray and place it back in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly browned and the kale is crispy.
- While the kale and coconut are in the oven, whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the raw kale, mandarin orange segments, and sesame seeds to the bowl and toss with the dressing. When the kale and coconut come out of the oven, add them to the bowl and toss gently.