Salmon Cakes with Avocado Tartar Sauce is a quick, easy, and healthy dinner recipe made with fresh salmon. And if you make small salmon patties they are perfect for a party appetizer.
- 1 1/4 lbs. salmon, skin removed and chopped very small
- 1/2 red onion, grated (see notes)
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour, divided (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Oil, for the pan
Avocado Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 gherkins, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the salmon, grated onion, parsley, 1/2 cup of the almond flour, salt, pepper, eggs, lemon zest, and juice.
- Place the remaining 1 1/4 cups of almond flour in a shallow bowl. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, take a scoop of the salmon and drop it into the almond flour. Sprinkle some almond flour on top then carefully pick up the salmon. Very gently, pass the salmon back and forth between your hands a few times to form a patty. Do not try and squish the salmon or it will fall apart. (See the blog post for tips.)
- Place the salmon patty on the parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining salmon to make 8 patties. Put the cakes into your fridge, uncovered, while you make the sauce, about 10 mins.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add the salmon patties to the pan with the top side (dry side) facing down. Cook the salmon cakes for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Be gentle when turning them over to prevent them from cracking.
Avocado Tartar Sauce
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it is creamy. Add just enough cold water (2-3 tablespoons) so that it is the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients and set aside.
Grating the onion means that you don’t have to cook it first. Use the large holes on your grater.
For a higher carb/ lower fat option, use tapioca starch or cornstarch instead of almond flour to coat the salmon patties.