This cheesy Sage Pumpkin Pasta Bake is the ultimate grown-up, autumn casserole recipe. It’s dotted with kale, topped with butter pecans, and smothered in an easy to make and healthy creamy pumpkin sauce.
| gluten-free + vegetarian |
- 17 ounces fusilli (gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups torn kale
- 1 14-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each: black pepper and cayenne
- 8 ounces mozzarella, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the fusilli in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and toss with a little olive oil.
- While the pasta is cooking prepare the rest of the meal. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium-high heat and add the pecans. Toast until they are fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook till soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and kale and cook until the kale is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the pumpkin, cottage cheese, sage, black pepper, and cayenne.
- Spread a scoop of the pumpkin into the bottom of a casserole dish or ovenproof pot. Layer with 1/3 of the pasta, 1/3 of the pumpkin, 1/3 of the kale, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat 2 more times. Top the pasta with the buttered pecans and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until the pasta is hot and bubbling.