These delicious Chicken Carnitas are made with leftover rotisserie chicken. They’re quick and easy to make and super delicious. You will LOVE them!
For the pineapple salsa:
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 jalapeño or serrano pepper, finely minced
For the guacamole:
- 2 large avocados
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Sea salt, to taste
For the carnitas:
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chicken skin (see notes)
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place the oven rack on the top shelf and preheat your oven to broil at 420 degrees. If you can’t control the temperature of your oven, move the rack down one notch. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Note: the parchment paper will prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan, but it will brown, and might smoke, under the broiler.
- Mix all the pineapple salsa ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. In a second medium-sized bowl mix all the guacamole ingredients.
- Mix the shredded rotisserie chicken with the chicken skin together on the prepared baking sheet. Broil in your oven for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy and brown in many spots, mixing halfway through. While the chicken is broiling, warm the tortillas in a frying pan.
- Pile on the guacamole on a warmed tortilla, top with the rotisserie chicken carnitas and the pineapple salsa. Serve immediately.
The chicken skin adds tons of flavor and helps keep the chicken from drying out. If you are concerned about calories, you can omit it.