This Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad is full of roasted Brussels, crispy and cheesy chickpeas, and a traditional Caesar dressing. It’s so delicious and the perfect way to swap out your tradition Caesar salad.
- 1.5 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and dried well
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A good pinch of sea salt
For the dressing:
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature (see post about how to easily pasteurize an egg yolk at home)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, chopped to a paste
- 2 garlic cloves, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Toss the chickpeas with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and sea salt and place them on one of the prepared baking sheets. Roast them in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are mostly dry. They will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.
- Cut half the Brussels sprouts in half. Shave the rest of the Brussels by cutting them in half, laying the flat sides down, and then thinly slicing them. Set aside 1 cup of the shaved Brussels. Add all the Brussels, except the ones you’ve set aside, to the other prepared tray, drizzle them with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle the sea salt top. Use your hands to mix the Brussels around so that each piece is covered in oil. Bake the Brussels for 25 minutes, mixing halfway. Don’t wait for the chickpeas to come out of the oven. Bake the Brussels and the chickpeas at the same time.
- While the chickpeas and Brussels are cooking, prepare the dressing. Add the egg yolk to a medium sized bowl with the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, anchovies and garlic. Whisk in the oil very slowly, starting with just a few drops at a time, until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Stir in the parmesan cheese and season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste.
- To assemble the roasted Brussels sprouts caesar salad, combine the roasted chickpeas and Brussels, the shaved Brussels you’ve set aside and toss with the dressing. Serve with extra lemon slices and a little extra parmesan on top.