Roasted Black Plum and Mascarpone Pie is the perfect fruit pie recipe for your summer dinner parties.
- 1 pie crust, homemade or store bought
- 4 lb. firm ripe black plums, quartered
- 1 1/2–2 cups sugar (depending on sweetness of plums) plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or light sour cream
- 2–4 tablespoons honey
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 1 9″ pie pan or up to 12 individual serving bakeware pieces with pie crust. Crimp edges for pie pan or gently tear off excess dough leaving a little draping down the sides of the individual pans. Bake according to recipe or box till fully cooked.
- Place plums in a large bowl. Add 1 1/2 – 2 cups of sugar and lemon juice. Scrape seeds from half the vanilla bean and toss to coat.
- Add plums to a large glass baking sheet or line a rimmed metal baking sheet with parchment paper. Roast until the plums are tender but not falling apart, 25-40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer plums to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and set them aside to cool.
- Carefully pour juices from the pan into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened and reduced, 4-8 minutes. Set glaze aside.
- Combine the mascarpone, creme fraiche or light sour cream and honey together in a medium bowl. Scrape seeds from the remaining half vanilla bean and beat on high for 1-2 minutes. Do not overbeat as the mascarpone may curdle.
- Spread mascarpone mixture evenly over cooked pie crust. Cover with about 1 tablespoon of glaze and top with roasted black plums. Serve at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.
Pie crust can be baked, plums roasted, glaze reduced and the mascarpone mixture can all be made a day ahead. Refrigerate separately and assemble before serving.