Pulled pork shepherd’s pie is a delicious twist on a classic recipe. It’s made with tender pulled pork, tasty sauteed veggies, and creamy mashed potatoes baked together in a casserole dish.
- 4 lb bone-in pork roast, see notes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, can sub diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb Russet potatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup potato cooking water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, gluten-free if needed
- Juices from the crockpot
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Sea salt, to taste
Italian Pulled Pork
- Remove the skin (if there is any) from the roast and trim any large pieces of fat. Sprinkle the pork roast with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Put the tomatoes, wine, vinegar, and garlic into your slow cooker and mix well. Add the pork roast to the pot and cook the roast for 4-5 hours on high or (preferably) 8-9 hours on low.
- When the roast is super tender, take it out of the slow cooker and put it into a bowl. Reserve the juices in the slow cooker. Shred the meat using 2 forks and discard any bones or gristly bits.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until soft, about 12-15 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water then drain the pot.
- Put the drained potatoes back into the pot and add the butter, heavy cream, and reserved cooking water and mash well. Season to taste with salt.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high, heat the oil then add the onion and carrot and saute until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Stir the Italian seasoning and flour into the vegetables then take them off the heat.
- Put the veggies back on medium-high heat. Pour the juices in the slow cooker into the veggies and stir until it starts to thicken. Add the Worchestershire sauce, peas, and corn then season to taste with salt.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the pulled pork into the vegetables then put them into an 8″x11″ casserole dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the pulled pork.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. If you’d like to brown the mashed potatoes, broil for the last few minutes.
This shepherd’s pie is a great way to use up any leftover pulled pork. You will need 1 lb (or 4 cups) of cooked pulled pork.