Crema chantilly is very delicate. For best results, prevent the loss of volume by whipping the chantilly cream just prior to using or by storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for no longer than 3 hours before using. For the best flavor, combine the cream and the vanilla bean and seeds in an airtight container, then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. If you do not have time to allow the vanilla bean to infuse in the cream, substitute 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract. For best results, chill the mixer bowl and whip attachment (or bowl and beaters or balloon whisk) for 30 minutes prior to whipping the cream. If you’re whipping the cream on a warm day, while beating, set the bowl in an ice water bath to keep it cold.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (500 ml) heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- ¼ cup (31 g) confectioners’ sugar
- Combine the cream and the vanilla bean and seeds in an airtight container. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or preferably 24 hours, to allow the vanilla to infuse.
- At least 30 minutes before whipping the cream, put the bowl and whip attachment of a stand mixer in the freezer. Just prior to whipping, remove the vanilla cream from the refrigerator and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into the cold bowl (discard the solids).
- Fit the mixer with the whip attachment and begin beating the cream at high speed (to immediately incorporate air) until soft peaks (curl when attachment is lifted) form, about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the confectioners’ sugar. Increase the speed to high and continue beating to stiff peaks (stand up straight when attachment is lifted), about 2 minutes longer.
- If not using immediately, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerator until ready to use, no longer than 3 hours.