This slightly sweet and garlicky roasted butternut squash pizza with creamy goat cheese is one of my personal favorites. You will LOVE it!
- Pizza dough
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin slices
- Olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely minced
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the butternut squash slices in a splash of olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Slice about 1/2 inch off the top off each head of garlic so that all cloves are slightly showing. Drizzle olive oil over each head and arrange, cut-side down on the baking tray.
- Check the squash after 15 minutes, if it is soft remove it from the oven and set it aside in a bowl. Continue to cook the garlic until it is soft and fragrant, about 25-30 minutes total. Remove the garlic from oven and, once it is cool enough to handle, gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion and add it to a pan with a splash of olive oil. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until it is very soft.
For the white sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk till combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Slowly add the milk and whisk till combined. Bring to a boil and whisk until it has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mash 10 of the roasted garlic cloves with a fork in a small bowl and add them to the white sauce and whisk to combine.
To assemble the pizza:
- Coat the dough in a thin layer of olive oil, add the roasted garlic white sauce over the entire surface, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the caramelized onions, roasted butternut squash, roasted garlic, goat cheese, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, according to the directions for the pizza dough.