I wish I had a piece (or 15 pieces) of this butternut squash pizza in front of me right now. I'm starving, and all I really want to eat is pizza. This pizza. I made it for a dinner party the other night, then made it again the next afternoon. If I had thought ahead and had some pizza dough on hand, I'd be making it again tonight.
Sweet roasted butternut squash and fragrant rosemary sit on top of a bed of roasted garlic white sauce that is covered with caramelized onions. The whole thing is sprinkled (liberally) with whole cloves of roasted garlic and chunks of goat cheese. It's sweet in the way that savory things roasted and caramelized for a long time tend to be.
Make sure you share a piece or two with whoever you are kissing tonight; this baby's full of sweet, delicious roasted garlic 🙂Print
This slightly sweet and garlicky roasted butternut squash pizza with creamy goat cheese is one of my personal favourites. You will LOVE it!
- Pizza dough
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin slices
- Olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely minced
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the butternut squash slices in a splash of olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Slice about 1/2 inch off the top off each head of garlic so that all cloves are slightly showing. Drizzle olive oil over each head and arrange, cut-side down on the baking tray.
- Check the squash after 15 minutes, if it is soft remove it from the oven and set it aside in a bowl. Continue to cook the garlic until it is soft and fragrant, about 25-30 minutes total. Remove the garlic from oven and, once it is cool enough to handle, gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion and add it to a pan with a splash of olive oil. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until it is very soft.
For the white sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk till combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Slowly add the milk and whisk till combined. Bring to a boil and whisk until it has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mash 10 of the roasted garlic cloves with a fork in a small bowl and add them to the white sauce and whisk to combine.
To assemble the pizza:
- Coat the dough in a thin layer of olive oil, add the roasted garlic white sauce over the entire surface, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the caramelized onions, roasted butternut squash, roasted garlic, goat cheese, rosemary and salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, according to the directions for the pizza dough.
Want the best pizza dough recipe ever? Here it is 🙂
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Cheesy Roasted Garlic Artichoke Olive Dip - December 13, 2017
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Bake - December 11, 2017
- Holiday Spiced Almond Shortbread Cookies + a Vitamix Giveaway - December 9, 2017