Pineapple shrimp stir fry is a sweet, delicious, and healthy dinner recipe that’s always a hit. An easy to make stir fry sauce coats the tender shrimp, sweet pineapple chunks, and our favorite veggies. It’s quick to make and so much better than takeout!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ lb. shrimp, shells removed
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 cup snap peas, cut in half
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped pineapple (or canned pineapple chunks)
- Sesame seeds, for serving
Pineapple Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup pineapple juice (can sub orange juice)
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Optional, 1 teaspoon sriracha (more, to taste)
- If you’re serving this with rice, start that first.
- Whisk the cornstarch, onion powder, and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Note: the batter will turn sticky.
- Next, make the stir fry sauce. Add the cornstarch to a measuring cup. Add a little of the pineapple juice and mix it into the cornstarch. Now add the rest of the juice and the remaining sauce ingredients.
- Heat half of the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and spread them out in the pan so that they are in a single layer. Cook them for 2 minutes on each side then remove them from the pan.
- Add the remaining oil and the snap peas, red pepper, and pineapple and cook the veggies for 2-3 minutes, or until they are crisp-tender.
- Return the shrimp to the pan, give the sauce a stir then pour it over the shrimp and veggies, then mix everything together. Let the sauce cook for 1 minute to thicken it then serve the stir fry with sesame seeds sprinkled on the top.