These Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes with Banana Frosting are so absolutely delicious that you can skip the frosting. But, why would you do that?
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- A pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- All-natural creamy peanut butter
- Thin slices of banana
- Chopped toasted or sugared peanuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together both the flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add the peanut butter, mashed banana, egg and vanilla and beat until well combined and creamy. Add the yogurt and water and beat till combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour the batter evenly among the 18 cupcake liners. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of them comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
For the frosting:
- Cream together the butter and mashed banana in a medium bowl using an electric beater. Add the lemon juice, vanilla and salt and beat till combined. Add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat until the icing is smooth and thick.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled pipe or spread the icing on top. Optional: spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each cupcake before you add the icing. Top with a thin slice of banana and some chopped sugared peanuts. Extra yum!