One Pot Vegan Pasta is the ultimate easy and delicious dinner recipe. The pasta is cooked in a spicy sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce then covered in tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs and broiled to perfection.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegan milk (unsweetened almond milk works well)
- 1 lb. uncooked penne (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 – 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 1/4 cup torn basil
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 5 Roma tomatoes, sliced thick
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil from your jar of sun-dried tomatoes into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, and garlic and cook until the tomato paste starts to darken and caramelize, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegan milk, penne, roasted red peppers, can of tomatoes, sea salt and chili flakes to the skillet and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15-20 mins, or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir several times, especially at the beginning, to prevent the pasta from sticking to the skillet.
- While the pasta is cooking, mix together the melted butter, breadcrumbs, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Set the oven rack in the top third of your oven and preheat on broil.
- When the pasta is al dente, stir in the spinach and basil and cover the top with the tomato slices. Broil until the tomatoes wilt and are brown in a few places, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top during the last minute. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.
If you’re in a hurry, you can skip adding the tomatoes and buttered breadcrumbs and eat the pasta as soon as it’s ready from the stovetop.