This delicious Bacon Apple Chicken is the perfect fall dinner recipe. The bacon and chicken are crisped on your stovetop then everything gets nestled into a baking dish and roasted together. It’s a healthy and easy to make recipe that is bursting with flavor.
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chicken bone in thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- A generous pinch of cayenne
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 lb.) diced
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped (see notes)
- Turn your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the fat releases. Add the onion to the pan and continue to cook until the onion is soft and the bacon starting to crisp.
- While the bacon and onions are cooking, prepare the sweet potato, Brussels, apple, and pecans and add them to a casserole dish. Season with 1 teaspoon of the sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and the cayenne. When the bacon and onions are finished cooking, add them to the casserole and mix everything together.
- Add the chicken, skin side up, to the pan you used to cook the bacon. (Don’t remove the fat from the pan.) Sprinkle the chicken skin with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. After 5 mins, flip the chicken over and cook until the skin is brown and crispy.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies. For a richer dish, you can pour the oil from the pan over the top of the veggies. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
If your pecans are not toasted, put them on a baking sheet in your oven while it is warming up. They will take 5-6 minutes at temperature to toast, a little longer if the oven is still heating.