This simple no yeast bread recipe is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It’s a dense yet soft loaf with great flavor that slices easily and is perfect for dipping into soups and chilis or for making open-faced sandwiches. In only 1 hour and with 6 ingredients you can be slicing into a delicious loaf of bread.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk mixed with 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar)
- ¼ cup melted butter
Herb and Cheddar
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning (or favorite dried herbs)
Olive and Feta
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
Oat and Honey
- ½ cup oats (save a few to sprinkle on top)
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and sat in a large bowl. (Use a bowl that is bigger than what you see in the video!)
- Pour the buttermilk and butter into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cheddar cheese and Italian seasoning and mix until they are incorporated. (You can skip this step for a plain version or add either the olive and feta or oat and honey variations.
- Dump the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and shape into a ball with your hands. Using the parchment paper, lift the dough and place it into a pot. Score the top with knife (this is so that the bread cooks properly) then bake for 45-55 minutes. When it’s cooked, the crust will be golden brown and the bread will sound hollow if you knock on the top of it.
- Lift the bread out of the pot using the parchment paper then wait 30 minutes before slicing it.