The Brown Butter Potatoes
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1/3 cup butter (use ghee for Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground meat* (or veggie meat, if needed)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire (vegetarian, if needed – sub chopped anchovies or coco aminos for Whole30)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water, and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are soft, about 15 mintues. Drain them through a colander, add them back into the pan, and mash well.
- Make the brown butter while the potatoes are boiling. Melt the butter (or ghee) over medium heat. Keep it on the heat until it is fragrant and many brown specks appear. Remove from the heat and stir in the thyme and garlic. Pour the brown butter over the mashed potatoes and stir through. Salt the potatoes well.
- While the potatoes are cooking , begin the shepherd’s pie. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have released their liquid and are starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the ground meat (or veggie meat) and carrots and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mushroom shepherd’s pie to an ovenproof baking dish. Top with the brown butter mashed potatoes and spread them evenly over the top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until it is hot and starting to bubble at the sides.
- Remove from the oven and dig in!
I usually use a mix of beef and pork in this recipe. Feel free to use ground chicken for a lower cal option. Ground lamb also works very well.