Mini BLT Tomato Cups
If you're looking for bite-sized appetizers for your next party, look no further. These Mini BLT Cups are as cute as they are delicious! Cherry tomatoes are stuffed with arugula and a little chipotle mayo then topped with a piece of crunchy bacon.
Friends! I've made us my all-time favorite appetizer recipe and I'm ridiculously excited to share it with you.
These mini BLT cups first appeared on The Endless Meal back in 2013. It's Throw Back Thursday time again today (the 27th #tbt post!) and I thought it was about time these guys came back.
They are the ultimate party appy. Since we have tons of entertaining coming up over the next few months (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve, game day parties, and just for the heck of it parties) I thought we should all have a guaranteed hit recipe that we can pull out whenever we need to.
In the name of keeping things simple, I've made a few adjustments to the recipe. If you've made these before, don't worry. The recipe is every bit as good now with way less work.
These tomato cups are all the things you would find in a BLT sandwich, only in cute, bite-sized appetizer form. Plump cherry tomatoes (the T) are hollowed out then stuffed with a piece of arugula (the L) and crumbled bacon (the B).
Some easy to make chipotle mayo is piped on top because you can't have a BLT (or mini BLT cups) without chipotle mayo. I swear there's a law about that somewhere.
Do you see how cute that Mini BLT Cup is? When you bring these to a party, no one can resist them. It's ridiculous how fast a plate of these can disappear.
Besides winning all the presentation and deliciousness points, these little tomato cups also win big time in the easy to eat at a party category. I know you've all been to a party and tried to snack on something messy only to have to go racing around trying to find a napkin to wipe the mess from your face/ stop the juice from running down your arm/ blot the puddle of fill-in-the-blank from the front of your new dress. So not fun.
These perfectly bite-sized mini BLT cups will never give you any of those troubles. Win!
Original post: January 7th, 2013
Warning: These bite-sized Mini BLT Cups are highly addictive. I'm mean, really really addictive. You get some crispy bacon and smoky chipotle aioli all inside a perfectly juicy little tomato. Oh ya, and there's even a little piece of arugula just to make the whole thing look extra pretty.
Set these mini BLT cups out at a party and they are going to fly off the plate. Trust me, I've seen it happen with my own eyes.
Grape tomatoes are perfect for this recipe but cherry tomatoes will work too. I use baby arugula for the lettuce but have also used baby spinach in a pinch. Whatever kind of lettuce you use just make sure it's small. (Update: I now prefer to use cherry tomatoes in this recipe.)
To make your life a lot more simple (and who doesn't love that?) I suggest that you put the chipotle mayo in a pastry bag fitted with a smallish tip and then pipe it into the tomatoes. You can also use a plastic sandwich bag and just snip the corner off.
The mayo is super easy to make and adds so much flavor to these tomato cups. It's a tiny bit spicy and has tons of smoky flavor, just the way chipotle mayo should be.
I've used liquid smoke in this recipe. Have you heard of it? You can buy it (for super cheap!) in the BBQ sauce section of most grocery stores. A couple of drops will add a delicious smoky flavor.
Easy appetizer recipes
- Sesame Pineapple Sausage Bites
- Easy Marinated Olives and Almonds
- Bacon Scallop Lollipops with Honey Sriracha Glaze
- Spicy Harissa Hummus Platter
Mini BLT Tomato Cups
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
Mini BLT Cups
- 5 strips bacon
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 pieces of baby arugula
- 3 tablespoons real mayonnaise, homemade for Whole30
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, see notes
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce or coco aminos
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: 2-3 drops liquid smoke, see notes
- Cook the bacon in a large pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Let the bacon cool slightly. When it is cool enough to handle, break 24 small pieces for the topping and crumble the rest.5 strips bacon
- While the bacon is cooking, hollow out the cherry tomatoes and make the mayo. Cut off the bottoms (they will sit on their tops) and carefully scoop/ shake out the insides with a small spoon.24 cherry tomatoes
- Whisk all the mayo ingredients together in a small bowl. Transfer the mayo to a small resealable plastic bag and cut off the tip. Make the hole very small.3 tablespoons real mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice, ½ teaspoon soy sauce or coco aminos, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, Optional: 2-3 drops liquid smoke
- Tuck a piece of arugula into each cherry tomato. Spoon a little of the crumbled bacon inside then fill with the chipotle mayo and top with a piece of bacon.24 pieces of baby arugula