This easy to make Mexican Crockpot Pork Carnitas recipe is super delicious and incredibly versatile. You will LOVE it!
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (about 1/2 a can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 lb. pork butt (pork shoulder) or boneless pork ribs (see notes)
- Combine all the ingredients, except the pork, in your crockpot and mix together well. Lay the pork on top and turn your crockpot to low. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the pork is tender, gently shred it using 2 forks. Pull the pork against the grain to get long strips of meat. Mix the shredded pork with the sauce in the crockpot.
- Preheat your oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the pulled pork to the prepared baking sheet and spread it out so that it’s in a thin layer.
- Broil in the oven for 15-20 minutes, mixing halfway through until the pork is crispy in many spots.
- Remove from the oven and serve on sandwiches, in tacos, burritos or as a side with some potatoes and salad.
I love to use boneless pork ribs in this recipe as I find they are the most flavorful. Pork butt or shoulder also work well.