These Mexican-style Sweet Potato Eggs Benedict start with roasted sweet potatoes rounds that are topped with roasted tomato, chunky guacamole, and poached eggs then smothered in chipotle hollandaise. They’re an insanely delicious breakfast recipe that just happens to be vegetarian + gluten-free +paleo + Whole30 approved.
- Neutral flavored oil, for the pan
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 4 Roma tomatoes, but in half lengthwise
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 4 large eggs (use the best quality you can)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee (use ghee for Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Juice from 1/4 lime
- Sea salt, to taste
- Red onion, black pepper, cilantro, lime, paprika
- Set your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the baking sheet with oil then lay the sweet potato rounds on top. Drizzle some more oil over top and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes, or until they are mostly soft. Salt the cut side of the tomatoes then put them in the pan with the sweet potatoes. Roast for 10 more minutes.
- Mash the avocado with the cilantro and lime. Season with sea salt, to taste.
- Fill a medium-sized pot halfway with water and add the vinegar. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and crack the eggs into the water. Poach for 3-4 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, make the hollandaise. Turn on a small element to high heat. Place the egg yolks into a small frying pan (not on the heat!) and add the water. Hold the pan a few inches above the heat while whisking constantly. After about 1 minute the yolks will be frothy and start to thicken. Add the butter or ghee and, continuing to hold the pan above the heat, whisk until the hollandaise is thick, about 1 minute more. Whisk in the pureed chipotle peppers and lime juice and season to taste with sea salt.
- Place 2 sweet potato rounds on each plate then top with a tomato half, some guacamole, a poached egg, and some chipotle hollandaise. Add any of all of the optional toppings and serve immediately.