This easy to make maple glazed pork belly is unbelievably tender and delicious. It has been a long time hit around here!
For the pork belly
- 1 – 1 ½ lb boneless pork belly
- 2 tablespoons brown miso
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt (Maldon salt works great)
For the chipotle aioli:
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise* (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place an ovenproof cooling rack on top of it.
- Wash the pork belly and dry it very well. Make sure the skin is completely dry. Make cuts, 1 inch apart, through the skin. Make sure you cut all the way through the skin (into a little of the fat is ok) but do not cut through to the meat. Turn the pork belly over and stab the meat all over with the tip of your knife.
- In a small bowl mix together the miso, maple syrup and Chinese five spice. Liberally coat the meat (not the skin!) side of the pork belly. Place the pork belly skin side up on top of the cooling rack.
- Pour the sesame oil over top of the skin and massage it in. Sprinkle the top with the flaky sea salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours. Make the chipotle aioli while the pork is cooking and keep it covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil at 420 degrees. Move the pork belly to a rack in the top third of your oven. Broil it for 10-15 minutes, or until the pork skin is very crispy.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes, uncovered. Slice the pork belly and serve with the chipotle aioli on the side.
For the aioli:
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and place it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
*For this recipe I normally make my own mayonnaise, but it also works well to use store-bought. If you want to make your own simply whisk together 1 room temperature egg yolk with the lime juice and dijon mustard. Then whisk in the oil in a slow and steady stream. It should only take you about 2 minutes to make.