Magic Turmeric Tea is my formula for staying healthy through the winter cold and flu season. It’s a powerful, supercharged drink that tastes great, too.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric (or sub powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, grated with a Microplane
- 1 bag of green tea
- Optional: 1 teaspoon honey (we like to use Royal Jelly – omit for Whole30)
- Place all the ingredients into a mug and fill with nearly boiling water. Let the tea steep for 2-3 minutes then remove the bag and sip away. Tip: leave a spoon in the mug and give it a stir before each sip to mix up the spices.
- Place a mug of water into a small pot, add all the ingredients and bring almost to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Remove the tea bag then pour the tea into your high-powered blender. Blend on high until frothy and smooth.
Green tea does contain caffeine. If you are drinking this in the evening, or avoiding caffeine, either use decaffeinated green tea or omit it.
Turmeric root is very sticky when grated. I find it best to keep it in the freezer as it is much easier and less messy to grate when frozen.
If you’re making a big batch of turmeric tea, use 1 green tea bag for each 2 cups of tea.
WARNING: if you choose to blend the tea, the turmeric will stain your blender. You can remove most of the stain with hot water and a little bleach. Most of the rest fades over time.