Whoever said you can’t have Vegan Butter Chicken has clearly never had this one. The creamy curry sauce is every bit as good as regular butter chicken sauce, and it’s loaded with tofu and veggies for an easy to make and healthy meal.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or another flavored oil)
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground or seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground or seeds
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon chili powder (depending on how spicy you like things)
- Seeds from 4 cardamom pods
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2–4 tablespoons coconut sugar, to taste (can sub maple syrup or brown sugar)
- Sea salt, to taste (I like about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 package soft tofu, cut into squares
- Add the avocado oil to a medium-sized sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they are quite brown, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili powder and cardamom seeds to the pan and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and ½ cup of water and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any brown bits. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into your blender and blend on high until smooth. Be careful as the steam from the hot liquid can push your blender lid off. Return the sauce to the pan and stir in the almond butter, coconut milk, and coconut sugar. Taste and salt as needed.
- Add the frozen peas, corn, and tofu to the pot and stir gently. Let them heat through then serve immediately.