Sweet Potato Nachos are loaded with good for you toppings like corn, beans and avocado and are super delicious. Easy to make baked sweet potato chips replace the usual calorie-heavy corn chips in this recipe. They’re perfect for a casual dinner or as a healthy Super Bowl appetizer.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, 2 lb. total
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- A generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (see notes)
- Optional: cilantro, jalapeño peppers, red chili peppers, limes, black pepper
For the guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 11×13 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash the sweet potatoes well. There’s no need to peel them. Slice them as thinly and evenly as possible. If you have one, a mandolin is perfect for this job. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with the grapeseed oil and sea salt.
- Lay the sweet potatoes out on the prepared baking sheets in a (mostly) single layer. You can overlap them just a little if you need to. Bake them in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove any chips that are starting to brown and continue to bake them, checking and removing any that are brown every 10 minutes, until all are light brown and or crispy at the edges, about another 1/2 hour. Remove them from the oven and let them cool and crisp. Turn your oven up to 350 degrees.
- Place the frozen corn and the black beans on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes to dry them out.
- Once the sweet potato chips are cool, pile them all onto one of the baking sheets. Top them, in 2 layers, with the roasted corn, black beans, onions, and cheese and bake them in your oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to crisp.
- While the nachos are in the oven, prepare the guacamole. Place all the guacamole ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix with a fork until combined but still chunky.
- When the sweet potato nachos come out of the oven, top them with any or all of the optional ingredients and serve with the guacamole.
*Any melting cheese works well on nachos. I always like to use aged cheddar.
**If you eat a plant-based diet, omit the cheese or use your favourite vegan version.