We’ve lightened up a traditional breakfast fav! This healthy Tomato Spinach Strata is light on the bread and loaded with fresh veggies and feta cheese. It’s easy to make ahead for brunch, keeps well in the fridge for easy weekday breakfasts, and is delicious as breakfast for dinner – brinner!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 10 ounces spinach
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 cups crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 6 cups cubed bread (can be stale)
- 1/2 lb. tomatoes, chopped (I prefer cherry tomatoes)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they have softened and are starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and let it cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until it has mostly wilted, turning it a few times in the pan to help it out.
- While the onions are cooking, whisk the eggs, sea salt, yogurt, feta, and parmesan in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the bread to an 8×11 inch casserole dish. Add the tomatoes and the wilted spinach and toss to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the top and mix well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs have set. Note: there will be some moisture at the edges of the dish. This is because of the tomatoes. Once the spinach strata sits for a few minutes, the moisture will disappear.
- Let the spinach strata sit for 10 minutes before you dig in.