Lemon Herb Butter Roast Chicken is insanely delicious and a foolproof roast chicken recipe. The lemon herb butter keeps the chicken so tender while crisping the skin perfectly. It’s a healthy and easy to make recipe.
- 1 – 3lb whole chicken
- 1 lemon
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 1 apple, cored and cut into 8 pieces
- A few stems of thyme, oregano, and rosemary
Lemon Herb Butter
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 420 degrees.
- Mix all the lemon herb butter ingredients together in a small bowl. Use the zest from the lemon you’ll use with the chicken. (You only need one lemon)
- Cut the lemon in half and remove as many seeds as possible. Place the carrots, shallots, apple, and herbs in the bottom of a baking pan.
- Dry the chicken with paper towels then spread half the butter under the skin on the breasts. Using your hands, make small pockets between the flesh and the skin near the cavity side of the chicken. Stuff some butter into the pockets then use your hands to push it up over the whole breasts. Try to stuff some more butter under the skin around the legs. Be careful not to break the skin. Use half the butter under the skin and rub the remaining butter over the skin.
- Place the butter rubbed chicken on top of the veggies in the pan. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top then nestle the lemon halves beside the chicken. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and roast for another 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and place it on a serving platter. Spoon the veggies out of the pan and place them beside the chicken. Discard the lemon and herbs. Pour the remaining juices into a bowl and serve beside the chicken.