Italian Sausage Soup is loaded with flavor, easy to make, and a healthy option for a cozy meal. In only 30 minutes you can be sitting down to dinner with a smile on your face. Bonus: leftovers taste amazing!
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 small russet potatoes, cubed (about 3 cups)
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 6 cups beef bone broth (see notes)
- 2 cups chopped kale or swiss chard leaves, packed
- Sea salt, to taste (see notes)
- Add the sausage to a soup pot on medium-high heat. Cook until the sausages have released some oil and have started to brown. Remove them from the pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, potatoes, Italian seasoning, and chili flakes to the pot and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, return the sausages to the pot, and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the kale or swiss chard to the pot and let it wilt. Season to taste with sea salt.
- For the best flavor, use homemade beef bone broth. Homemade chicken broth is a good alternative. If using store-bought broth, I recommend adding some Better Than Boullion to boost the flavor of the broth.
- The amount of salt will vary depending on how much salt is in the broth you use. I use unsalted homemade beef broth and like to add about 1 teapoon of salt.
- For an extra special treat, add a small handful of parmesan or asiago cheese to each bowl of soup.