Creamy Italian sausage pasta is easy to make and super delicious. It’s made with spicy or mild (your choice!) Italian sausage cooked in a creamy tomato sauce.
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star review in the comments!
- 8 ounces penne (or other short pasta. gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 Italian sausages, casings removed (mild or spicy, your choice)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces cream cheese (can be light)
- ½ teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper (more to taste)
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Cook the penne in a large pot of salted water according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water then drain the pot.
- Add the sausage, onion, and garlic to a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, crumbling the sausages with a spoon, until the sausages are cooked, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir it into the sausages. Let it caramelize for 2-3 minutes then add the wine or stock to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom to release any flavorful bits that are stuck on.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and cream cheese and simmer the sauce, stirring a few times, until the cream cheese has melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked penne and spinach and stir them into the sauce. Add a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce, if needed.