Dig into this potato salad with Italian flavors. It has basil, tomato, and olives and a red wine vinegar and garlic dressing that really pops!
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star review in the comments!
- 2 ½ pounds small red skinned potatoes, scrubbed cut into 1-inch chunks (8 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup sliced pitted Italian black olives, optional
- ½ cup thinly sliced salami, optional (2 ounces)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover, and steam until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt over the minced garlic and mash with the side of a chef’s knife until a paste forms.
- Scrape the garlic paste into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1 ½ teaspoon salt, oil, vinegar, and pepper.
- Add the potatoes to the dressing and toss to coat. Let cool in the dressing, tossing occasionally until about room temperature.
- Add the tomatoes, olives (if using), Salami (if using), red onion, and basil.
- Toss the potatoes with the veggies, salami, and basil to combine. Season with additional pepper to taste if desired. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Make Ahead Notes:
While we liked this recipe best the first day, it can be made up to two days ahead. The olive oil dressing will solidify in the refrigerator, so bring it out of the fridge about an hour before serving to let the oil oil go back to its liquid state. Stir well before serving.