Have you ever wondered how to cook mussels? Spoiler alert: it’s super easy! I’ll show you how to choose, store, clean, and cook mussels. Plus I’ll share my favorite mussels in white wine recipe. Are you ready to learn how to prepare mussels? Let’s do this!
- 2 tablespoons butter (olive oil, for dairy-free)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 lbs. mussels, cleaned
- Optional: 1/4 cup cream (I like to use cashew cream but dairy cream works, too. See notes)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and let them cook for 3 minutes. Add the bay leaves, pepper, and wine to the pot and bring the wine to a boil.
- Add the mussels and cover the pot. After three minutes, take the lid off and gently stir the mussels. Try to push any shells that are unopened to the bottom of the pot so they are closer to the heat. After 5 minutes remove the mussels from the heat. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Pour the cream (if using) and the lemon juice into the sauce and gently mix. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and serve right away.
To make cashew cream, combine 1/3 cup of raw cashews with 1 cup of water and blend on high until smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve before using.