Homemade breakfast sausage patties are easy to make, perfectly seasoned, and are way better than anything store-bought. Bonus that they are made without any special equipment and they freeze beautifully for quick weekday breakfasts.
- 2 lbs. lean ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl. Be careful not to overmix the meat or it will tough.
- Use a medium-sized cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons) to form 20 balls. Press them into round patties about 2 ½ inches wide. (see notes)
- Heat a nonstick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add as many sausage patties as will fit in the pan in a single layer. Cook for 4 minutes per side, lowering the heat if they become too brown. Repeat with the remaining sausage patties.
To freeze breakfast sausages
Mix the meat and form it into patties. Lay the patties on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into your freezer. When the patties are completely frozen, remove them from the sheet and store them in a freezer-safe bag. We love reusable stasher freezer bags!
While we prefer the smaller size of these patties, you can definitely make them as large as you’d like. Note that the larger the sausages the longer they’ll take to cook.