If you’re looking for a healthy side dish, this is your recipe. This vegan green bean casserole is made with a cashew-based mushroom sauce that is super creamy and delicious. It tastes like it’s made with cream and cheese, but it’s 100% dairy-free.
- 1 recipe Magic Mushroom Sauce
- 1.5 lb. green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup panko (or sub gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed, omit for paleo)
- Begin my making the easy to make Magic Mushroom Sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cover the bottom of an 11″x9″ casserole dish with a thin layer of the mushroom sauce. Top with half the green beans, then half the remaining mushroom sauce. Repeat once more. Pour 1/2 cup of water over the top then seal tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until hot, bubbling and the green beans are soft.
- While the green bean casserole is in the oven, prepare the topping. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until it is soft and brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the panko to the pan and let it brown, about 2 minutes.
- Once the green beans are soft, mix them around in the casserole dish, pour the topping over the casserole and serve immediately.