I’ve made us some Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream and it’s the most delicious thing ever. It’s also a healthier dairy-free/ vegan dessert recipe, but you would never know it. Go on, have a second scoop. You know you want to!
Peanut Butter Ice Cream:
- 2 cups raw cashews (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup all-natural salted peanut butter (see notes)
- 1/3 cup sugar
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- 6 tablespoons softened coconut oil or butter (vegan, if needed)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips (vegan, if needed)
- Place the cashews in a jar (I use a 2 cup Mason jar) and cover them with water. Place the cashews in your fridge and let them soak for 4-24 hours.
- Rinse the cashews under cold running water then add them to your blender or food processor. add 1 1/2 cups of fresh water, the peanut butter, and sugar. Blend on high until completely smooth. Note: if you don’t have a high-powered blender, you may want to strain the ice cream through a fine mesh sieve so it is smooth.
- Place the blended cashews into your fridge and let them cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the coconut oil or butter and sugar with a fork. Add the flour and vanilla and mix until a dough is formed. Stir in the chocolate chips. Break the dough into small pieces and place them on a small baking sheet. Place the tray into your freezer to freeze the cookie dough.
Ice Cream Maker Method:
- Pour the blended cashews into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers directions.
- Once the ice cream is firm, stir in the frozen cookie dough bites.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and freeze.
No Churn Method:
- Pour the blended cashews into a large, shallow baking dish and sprinkle the frozen cookie dough bites over the top. Place the dish into your freezer.
- After half an hour, remove the dish from your freezer and scrape the ice cream with a spoon to mix it up. Place it back in your freezer. Repeat the scraping and freezing until the ice cream is frozen, about 3-4 times.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and store in your freezer.
If you have a high-powered blender you can skip the soaking step. If not, soak the cashews for as long as you possible to help soften them.
I always use salted peanut butter. If you only have unsalted on hand, add a pinch of salt to the ice cream.