This crazy delicious Creamy Tortellini Soup is a cozy weeknight dinner recipe that is made in only 25 minutes and is surprisingly healthy, too. Instead of being loaded with cream (like most tortellini soup recipes), this one is thickened and made creamy with a little cashew butter. It’s our favorite trick for making healthy cream sauces. You’ll never guess that this is a healthy soup recipe!
✨ If you love this healthier creamy tortellini soup recipe as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups stock (see notes)
- 12 ounces (about 3 generous cups) of refrigerated tortellini (use gluten-free or vegan ravioli, if needed)
- 4 tablespoons cashew butter + 1 cup warm water
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Push the onions to the side of the pot and add the tomato paste to the center. Let it cook for 3 minutes, or until it begins to smell sweet. Add the diced tomatoes and stock to the pot and scrape any stuck on bits off the bottom of the pot. Season to taste with salt.
- Bring the pot to a boil then add the tortellini and let it cook for 6 minutes.
- Mix the cashew butter and water together then add it to the pot. Let it thicken the soup. Taste and season (if needed) with a little more salt and pepper. Stir the spinach into the soup.
Homemade stock will make the best tasting soup. I like homemade chicken stock in this recipe, but veggie stock works well, too.