These rainbow sugar cookies are so much fun! Whether you’re serving them at Pride or for a kid’s party, they are guaranteed to be a hit.
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream (or 2 large eggs)
- Red, orange, yellow, blue, green, and purple food coloring (Americolor works great)
- 2 cups Smarties or mini M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon of salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, both sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the yogurt (or eggs) and blend well. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, blending until just incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 6 small bowls. Add a few drops of the food colouring to the bowls, one colour per bowl, and stir until the colour is incorporated. Divide the Smarties between the 6 bowls and stir them through.
- Working with one colour at a time put about ½ teaspoon of the dough on 9 evenly spaced spots on one of the prepared baking sheets. Next put another ½ teaspoon of another colour of dough so it touches the first colour. Repeat until each cookie has all 6 colours and is about 2 inches wide.
- Place the first tray of cookies in the oven while you work on preparing the second tray. Continue to bake/prepare the cookies, making sure to use a cooled baking tray when you’re preparing the cookies, until all the dough is gone.
- Bake the cookies for 6 minutes. Make sure not to over cook them or the colours will start to fade.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you store them in an airtight container.