Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Skewers are threaded with juicy marinated chicken, sweet pineapple, and crunchy peppers and onions. Once they’re grilled to perfection they’re drizzled with an easy to make (and refined sugar-free!) tasty teriyaki sauce and served with either coconut rice or healthy coconut cauli rice.
| paleo + gluten-free + refined sugar-free |
The Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 cup each: honey and soy sauce (gluten-free, if needed. Sub coco aminos for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated or minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch + 1/2 cup cold water (can sub cornstarch)
The Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
- 6 boneless chicken thighs (can sub 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Add the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic to a small pot over high heat and bring it to a boil. Mix the tapioca starch with the cold water in a small cup and add it to the pot. Once the sauce thickens remove it from the heat.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 3-4 pieces each and put them in a bowl. Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the top and mix well. Let the chicken marinate while you chop the veggies.
- Preheat your BBQ to medium-high and oil the grill.
- Thread the chicken and veggies onto skewers. Grill them for 10 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through cooking. Serve the skewers with the teriyaki sauce drizzled over the top.
Coconut rice: 1 cup basmati + 1 cup water + 1/2 cup canned coconut milk. Cook the rice according to package directions.
Coconut cauliflower rice: 1 head of cauliflower riced + 1/2 cup coconut milk. Simmer the riced cauliflower in the coconut milk until the cauliflower is soft and no liquid remains.