This grilled cheese and apple sandwich is rich and cheesy with a little crunch and a touch of spice. The sriracha butter adds just the right amount of heat to take this classic sandwich up a level.
- 1 teaspoons softened butter, plus more to butter the bread
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 4 slices of bread
- Cheese (see notes)
- ½ an apple, cored and sliced
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the butter with the sriracha and, if using, the chili flakes in a small bowl.
- Butter one slice of bread with plain butter then turn the bread over and butter the other side with the Sriracha butter. Add the cheese, apple slices, and more cheese. Top with the other piece of bread then butter the top.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the sandwich and cover the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese has melted, and the bread is brown and crispy.
I like to use cheddar and parmesan cheese, but I think brie would be delicious, too. I’ve left the quantity of the cheese out on purpose. Add more or less depending on how cheesy you’d like your grilled cheese sandwich to be.