This delicious Grilled Buffalo Chicken Salad is loaded with crispy romaine hearts, spicy buffalo chicken, all your favorite veggies and tossed in a healthy and super tasty avocado ranch dressing. We like it as a hearty dinner salad but it’s just as good as a side salad with a summer BBQ meal.
| gluten-free + dairy-free + paleo + Whole30 adaptable |
Avocado Ranch Dressing
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (Whole30 compliant, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 green onion sprig, green part only
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 3/4 – 1 cup water (start with 3/4 cup)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter (use ghee for Whole30 or avocado oil for dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3–4 drops of Worcestershire sauce (omit for Whole30)
- A pinch of salt
- 3 romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- A handful of radishes, sliced
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Add all the avocado ranch dressing to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if you would like a thinner dressing. Set the dressing aside to let the flavors meld.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high. Toss the chicken thighs in the oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and grill for 7 minutes per side.
- To make the buffalo sauce, add the butter (or ghee or avocado oil), the hot sauce, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce (if using), and salt to a small pan over medium-high heat. Once it comes to a boil, whisk and set it aside.
- Cut the grilled chicken into 1-inch chunks. Add them to the buffalo sauce and toss to coat.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, add the buffalo chicken, and pour the avocado ranch dressing over the top. Toss and serve right away.
Swapping the mayonnaise in the avocado ranch for Greek-style yogurt is a nice way to make it extra tangy.