These easy to make crispy pan-fried sweet potato fritters are topped with a lemon garlic yogurt sauce and are crazy delicious. You will LOVE them!
- 2 medium red-skinned sweet potatoes, about 1 lb.
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, plus a few extra for garnish
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Oil, for frying (see notes)
For the lemon yogurt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely minced
- Peel the sweet potatoes then grate them using the large holes on your cheese grater. Put them in a large bowl and add the cheddar cheese and chopped green onions. Whisk together the eggs with the sea salt and pepper and add them to the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Mix everything together well.
- Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add a splash of oil. Take a handful of the sweet potatoes and form it into a fritter – don’t worry if it doesn’t stick together well. Working in batches, and adding more oil to the pan between batches, fry the fritters in the hot pan for 3-4 minutes per side. Press the tops of the fritters down gently, so they stick together better and adjust the heat if they start to get too brown. Set the cooked patties on a baking sheet in your oven with your oven on to its lowest setting to keep them warm while you pan-fry the rest.
- While the sweet potato fritters are cooking, prepare the lemon yogurt. In a small bowl mix the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic.
- Serve the sweet potato fritters with the lemon yogurt and some sliced green onions over top.
How much oil you use will depend on the type of pan you use. A cast-iron pan will give you the best results, but you will need to use more oil. A non-stick pan will give you less crispy fritters, but you will save some oil.