These delicious Green Chicken Enchiladas are stuffed with Arroz Verde (tasty green rice) and smothered in a spicy charred tomatillo sauce. It’s an easy to make and healthy casserole recipe that makes a tasty weeknight dinner. Ringing in at only 250 calories per serving means you can go back for seconds or even thirds!
For the Arroz Verde:
- 1/2 packed cup cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice (see notes)
For the Charred Tomatillo Sauce:
- 1 lb. tomatillos, removed from husk
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1–2 jalapeño peppers, depending how hot you like it
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- Sea salt, to taste
For the Green Chicken Enchiladas:
- 2 chicken breasts (see notes)
- 8 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, plus extra to serve
Make the Arroz Verde:
- Place the cilantro, white onion, garlic and sea salt into your blender with 2 1/2 of water. Pour this into a medium sized pot, add the rice and give it a stir. Put the pot over high heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer for 40 minutes, or until the rice is soft and no liquid remains. Remove the pot from the heat and stir the rice.
Make the Charred Tomatillo Sauce:
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Set a baking rack in the top third of your oven and preheat your oven to broil. Place the tomatillos, unpeeled garlic and jalapeño peppers on a lined baking sheet and toss with the oil. Broil for 20 minutes without turning, or until the tomatillos are slightly charred. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Remove the skin from the garlic and the stems from the jalapeños. If you like it quite mild, remove the seeds from the jalapeños, too. Place 1 cup of water, the tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeños, along with any liquid on the pan, into your blender and blend on high until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt. Reduce the oven temperature to bake at 350 degrees.
Make the Shredded Chicken:
- While the tomatillos are roasting, prepare the chicken. Place the chicken breasts in a medium-sized pot and cover with water. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for 15 minutes, or until no pink remains inside the chicken breasts. Drain the pot and shred the chicken using two forks.
Assemble the Green Chicken Enchiladas:
- Lay 8 tortillas on your counter. Place 1/2 cup of rice into the center of each tortilla then top with the chicken. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of goat cheese on top of each enchilada.
- Pour 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish, or enough to lightly cover the bottom of the dish. Roll the tortillas tightly then place seam down in the casserole dish. Cover the top of the enchiladas with the remaining Charred Tomatillo Sauce.
- Bake the Green Chicken Enchiladas for 30-35 minutes, or until they are hot and bubbly. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little extra goat cheese.