These pickled baby beets have the loveliest zing from the ginger. They’re perfect for salads, as a side dish or even on their own. You will LOVE them!
- 20 baby beets
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 6-star anise
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- To sterilize the jars, begin by washing them well. Once you have washed the jars place them on a baking sheet and put them in your oven. Turn your oven on to 240 degrees Fahrenheit and leave the jars in your oven for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes is up turn off the heat and open the oven door a crack so they can begin to cool slightly.
- While the jars are sterilizing, begin preparing the beets. Remove the stems from the beets and scrub them thoroughly. Place beets in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring the pot to a boil. Cook the beets until they are fork tender.
- While beets are cooking, mix remaining ingredients together in a medium-sized pot and bring the pot to a boil. Boil hard for 3 minutes then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Drain the beets and set them aside until they are cool enough to handle. Once they are cool remove the skin from the beets. It will easily peel off with your fingers. Cut the beets in half or leave whole if they are very small.
- Pack the beets into the sterilized jars with a piece of star anise and a few pieces of ginger. Pour the pickling liquid over beets. Leave a 1/4″ space at the top of the jar. Seal lid and allow it to sit for at least 2 weeks.
Adapted from a recipe I have on a torn out page from a magazine. Unfortunately, there is no indication on the bit of page that indicated which magazine this recipe came from. If you know, please tell me. I’d like to give credit where credit is deserved!