This tender Filipino chicken adobo is super simple to make yet rich in flavor. It takes as little as 30 minutes to make and is a healthy weeknight meal. See the notes for instructions on how to make this Filipino chicken adobo in just 30 minutes.
- 8 chicken skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 4 garlic cloves, whole (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns or fresh cracked pepper
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Place the chicken thighs, soy sauce, rice vinegar and the 4 minced garlic cloves in a resealable plastic bag. Squish the bag around a little so that the chicken is well coated with the marinade. Leave the bag in your fridge for 30 minutes to 24 hours to marinate.
- Pour the marinade from the bag into a medium sized pot. Heat a large frying pan over high heat and add the oil. Remove the chicken thighs from the bag, dry them thoroughly with paper towels, and then fry them in the pan until they are nicely browned. You don’t need to cook them through, just brown them.
- Once the chicken is brown, add it to the pot with the reserved marinade along with the whole garlic cloves, black peppercorns or fresh cracked pepper and bay leaves. Add just enough water to the pot so that the chicken is half covered in liquid. Bring the pot to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low so the chicken gently simmers. Let the chicken cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes sprinkle the brown sugar over the chicken and continue to cook it, uncovered, for 5 more minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the chicken with some rice and lightly steamed greens on the side.
The whole garlic cloves are there because I love them once they cook and start to caramelize. If you’re not a big fan of whole garlic simply omit the whole cloves.
If you’re running short of time, you can make this recipe in just 30 minutes. Skip marinating and browning the chicken and simply put all the ingredients into the pot and let it simmer for 20 minutes. It will still be delicious!